Sunday, March 29, 2009

Too much...or !s !t?

Oh it's been quite a weekend thus far..
Friday afternoon I went to Whole Foods with Kyoko & Jessica (so that now I can enjoy my multigrain bread and strawberry jam...which I am)
That night I went to Patrick's band (Ra Ra Rasputin)'s show at the Rock and Roll Hotel with Jessica. Now, this is a pretty cool place BUT it's kind of a bitch and a half to get there. Somehow - when we got to the Chinatown Metro stop there was some magical free shuttle that picked us up and took us to H street. It was rainy and cold and Chinatown's pretty shady at night so I'd say we got quite lucky.
Ra Ra put on a good show, they looked like they were having a shit ton of fun on stage, but they were having a bit of difficulty with sound, and the drummer's kick kept running away from him. The lead guy sounds like James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem. We had a great view at the front until two drunk bears practically mauled us. We moved, naturally, but it was silly nonetheless.
On the way back we waited for that free shuttle but we couldn't find the actual stop. It was raining pretty hard and I wasn't wearing great shoes (or any socks, for that matter). We figured we'd walk along H street and see if we could catch the shuttle or X2 bus when it passed. We eventually spotted the bus but we couldn't run fast enough. This was pretty much our trek (because we somehow missed the Chinatown stop)
*I just spent a shit ton of time trying to circle the locations via Seashore so that I can just show you where we were but apparently I'm not tech savvy enough and Blogger doesn't feel like letting me upload the image. SO with that find H & 14th (left) and then the Union Station Metro stop (right).*

Yeah.
BUT Jess has this attitude where she can pretty much make light of everything so as long as she had a good time then I guess we're all cool haha.

After that we went to a Porter House party which, although pretty much all of our friends were there, wasn't that great. It must have been the music or something. We didn't feel like waiting for the shuttle so we walked from Porter to the Metro stop to Tenley campus and then back to main campus. Too much unprepared walking for one rainy night...

Saturday morning Keith Jessica and Kyoko woke me up to go to Unique thrift. Everyone got a decent amount of stuff (I only got a handkerchief, which I lost! hahah) and then from there we went to the Japanese market next door. They had all these crazy snacks, of which I bought Pocky, wasabi peas, some crazy kiwi gummy candies and this RIDICULOUS soda where you need to push a marble from the top for no other reason except it's awesomeness factor, and it was delicious!


After that we headed to Tyson's Corner mall in Virginia (you know, sometimes I still can't believe I'm hanging out around the VIRGINIA area - who would've thought) which was pretty much the equivalent to the Roosevelt Field in Long Island (except Tyson's has Dippin Dots =] ) and I bought really sleek "Thanksgiving pants" for TEN BUCKS. They sound really ridiculous, but trust me, they're sexier than you'd think. Oh and I had the pleasure of running into this:


Capitol Punishment started at 7 in Kay, and PONYTAIL was the headliner (!!!!!) There were a lot of people that actually came in from the city - it was so crowded, I don't think I've experienced a Capitol Punishment with so many beards (not like that's a bad thing =] )I haven't heard of Mittenfields or Screaming Females but I only saw the later who were AMAZING. There's a drummer, bassist, and then this chick who, I couldn't even tell you how old she is, but she's quite tiny. This is most definitely unrelated to her musical abilities (she was the designated screaming female, I suppose). She was the guitarist as well, and when I say she played guitar, she fucking PLAYED guitar. She was absolutely mind-blowing. She played with a lot of pedals as well. Hopefully someday I'll be able to work those as well.. ALSO she was on key and there were no effects on her vocals or anything and she had a great voice - which is really a breath of fresh air (nowadays, that is hah). Here's the best thing I could find on YouTube. You can check out their website which is pretty cool as well.



Thanks to the encouragement of Kyoko/Jess/Jill I was able to grow some balls and approach the lovely screaming female.
OH and all of True Womanhood was there! (who I saw a few weeks ago at DC9 opening for Women)

Ponytail was (clearly) great as well, but the singer this time was just as tiny, just as sweaty, and just as loud (and the same color/length hair..hmm..) as the screaming female. I've been listening to Ponytail's Myspace which had always gotten me pumped, but the live show was more chaotic and their songs were less structured than I had been used to. Nevertheless it was still extremely energy-filled and we were all sweatdancing. The drummer was an absolute ANIMAL (we've come to the conclusion that he, in fact, IS Animal) during his breaks he had to put his head on the snare haha. As as side note - photographers, you're pretty ok, but when you push your way in front of those who are enjoying the actual moments of the show and then blind them with your blinding flash, you suddenly become pretty not okay. Just saying. Anyway, the singer didn't really do much for the majority of the songs except for get everyone extremely excited with some yelps every now and then (which DID sound good..but they definitely would sound exactly the same without her). I recommend you give their musicscsscs a listen


After that a bunch of us hung around in various Letts/Anderson rooms and then Adam picked me up and brought me to Zach's place with a new bunch of people where I played Kings for the first time (I've been sheltered).

Now if you will excuse me, I must go wash my dishes.

2 comments:

  1. 1. GREAT POST
    2. Our story definitely has more adventure, chaos, sidenotes, etc. than you talk about!
    3. KAOSS PAD
    4. I love how many times I am mentioned in this post
    5. I LOVE OUR TIME TOGETHER, G00D T1M3Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I KNOW I realized I forgot the kaoss pad after but I was too lazy to edit it. =]

    ReplyDelete